Saturday, June 2, 2012

Vintage & Modern

I recently had the opportunity to work on a vintage handmade quilt. My customer dated the materials back to the 30's!! The dresden fans were awesome. She found the middle of the top in a garage sale for $30, added some reproduction fabrics to the border and here are the finished results.
Isn't it amazing? What else is there to say about it? Some of the fabrics are from flour sacks, old tshirts, and dresses!
I stitched in the ditch around the fans and inbetween all of the fan spokes, then did a tight stippling in the cream around each fan.

The borders got some great treatments!!
The fans were so much fun to create! I wasn't sure if I could pull them off, but I think that they surpassed my expectations! :D

I am truly thankful that I got to add my own touch to this piece of art that was so long in the making!
Up next, something a little more current!

I apologize for the blurry picture! This is probably the most beautiful trip around the world quilt that I have ever seen. The batiks in this quilt are stunning...check them  out a little closer,
Beautiful right? I got to use a new thread that I LOVE called Glide. It has a bit of a sheen to it and comes in a gorgeous array of colors. I did a freehand swirl on the quilt top using the lilac thread, it turned out great. Minky was used as the backing, the quilting always stands out so great on the minky that I just have to share a pic.
Fun right?
On a more personal note, I took the last 2 weeks off because I traveled to see my mother, she had surgery. I am so happy to share that she may not have a thyroid anymore, but she IS cancer FREE!!! Happy Quilting everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment